Wednesday 5 March 2008

Wednesdays are good days

I love Wednesdays, I did my 5 social miles this morning with 2 others and it was lovely and sunny. I made it to the gym for some stretches and a sauna afterwards, although then I was almost late to pick up my daughter from nursery. We then rushed to Hitchin pool where she has her swimming lesson and I get a chance to swim too. After all this I felt very happy with myself and ready to devote the rest of the day to the duties of being a mum .....

So far so good for this week. I've also been reading Lindsay's blog wondering about how I would make my long runs 0.45-1.30 minutes per mile slower than marathon pace when I'm not quite sure what my marathon pace is. That is to say my first marathon was run in 4hrs 21 in Rotterdam which is flat and good for pbs, the 2nd was last year on a hot day in London when I was feeling very uncomfortable and only managed 4hrs 39 (My recollection of the time is vague as I wasn't very pleased with it). Of course I have a general idea of the pace I usually run but it varies as to whether I'm having a good or bad day, and if its a good day I want to look at my Garmin after a run and think I can be pleased with that time! I suppose I know what I'd like to aim for but if I always run long runs up to 1.30mins per mile slower, how will I ever achieve the target pace on the day? I don't think I understand the 'physiological adaptations that are crucial to marathon success' - as mentioned in Lindsay's blog.

No comments: